Sunday, September 25, 2011

Theme

It is an early morning, but by the standards of the past two weeks, the day would be burning.  Adjusting to the time change while returning home is always more complicated than arrival at my destination.  Perhaps it is because of a lack of motivation to try to get back into a schedule.
There are many posts to come about my experiences in Europe, but I thought I should begin with an overall summary of the trip to pull all of the days together into some sort of theme.  Prior to this trip, I had this notion that maybe I would figure out some answers to some of my questioning about what I want to do.  Instead, I feel slightly more confused.  I am ashamed to admit this, but there were several times on the trip that I missed home (not so much the location, but more of the people and dog).  I suppose there were even times that I missed the location simply for the ease of our lives.  When I went to Venice last year I completely cleared my mind of home and truly immersed myself into the experience.  I had to work to accomplish this goal for this trip.
So let’s talk about some of these truths.  The overarching truth that I have learned is that I am not a city girl.  I don’t like a lot of people, dirt, loud sounds, weird smells, and a lack of nature.  I suppose I have always been this way, but it just has not registered so strongly until now.  My absolute favorite moment on this trip was our excursion out to Giverny which is Monet’s home.  It is north of Paris, and in beautiful french countryside.  As soon as you walk onto his property you are greeted with some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen in possibly the best condition I have ever seen.  After spending about an hour in the garden and heading up to the house, you enter a beautiful country home that has views from the windows that would encourage any non-morning person to get up and watch the sun rise.  As you walk towards the lily pond you see chickens and hear roosters.  And of course when you reach the lily pond, it just all comes together.  With that said, I have realized that every time I want peace or am in a place where I feel like I am struggling, I turn to nature.  I go to the river, garden, or nature preserve.  Why should I wait to go to these places that I love only when I am unhappy?  The days that I enjoyed the most on the trip were the days that I got out of the city.  I want a piece of land that can hold a substantial garden, pond, and a comfortably sized house.  I do not need a big house, but I would rather have great grounds.  I want ducks, rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, dogs, and maybe even a chicken, rooster, or pig here and there.  To summarize, the main truth I learned on this trip is that I would like to work towards a life that can allow me to create a home like this.  One that I would be willing to share with others.
The second truth I came to regards my interest in writing.  This interest is stronger than ever, however the topic to write on might change.  I originally thought that I’d like to write a guidebook from the perspective of neighborhoods, but I am not sure if I want this to be my first endeavor.  I want to write nonfiction that will encourage people to travel to places and stand in the footsteps of what I have brought alive for them.  Growing up I remember planning trips around movies or books.  One year we did a “National Treasure” themed trip and I loved it.  There were some disappointments when I realized that there was not truth to all of the happenings and locations in the movie, but I felt something when I knew about these places and went to them.  I remember the last time I went to Paris we visited some locations featured in “The Da Vinci Code.”  Imagine if you went to places that were true and real.  While in Paris, I read A Moveable Feast by Hemingway.  It is about his time in Paris and I loved how he brought Paris alive from his time period.  When I visited the places he described, it meant something to me because he gave the place significance.  What if I could write stories about people or events in certain locations that would encourage people to travel and see and feel that moment in time?  To me, this is where nonfiction is so powerful.  I find truth to be awakening.
One topic that I’ve thought about on this trip is writing a book with stories of famous people and their hobbies.  When I went to the Churchill Cabinet and War Rooms, they had an exhibit on Churchill that was amazing.  Most people would find the information about the war period to be interesting, but my favorite part was a kiosk that showcased his paintings.  Churchill was a fairly good painter and it was his hobby he used to think.  When he talked about painting, he said,  “I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely occupies the mind.”  Everyone needs that escape, to completely vacate your mind of thoughts that you need a break from.  I think it would be interesting to see how famous people do this.  Churchill didn’t do little paint-by-numbers pieces, but portraits and landscapes.  It is just a thought amongst many, but I think it would be interesting to research and write about.  To share the experiences of the human condition that we all face can be comforting.  Like C.S. Lewis said, “we read to know we are not alone.”
Please check back regularly because I will be adding a large number of photos to the photography section and many posts to share my time in Europe.  I have truly enjoyed your comments and I hope that you continue to follow my blog.
Below is a painting by Churchill called “Sunset Over the Atlas Mountains.”

No comments:

Post a Comment