Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Future Home?

I have enjoyed going to Indianapolis ever since I was little.  It sounds strange that Indiana can host such an interesting place, but I absolutely love it.  I realized that one of the major draws that keeps my interest in the city is my family and their friends.  My aunt is such a great host and seems to bring the city alive.  For quite awhile I have considered relocating to this place that I like so much, and this trip has reaffirmed my beliefs about this city being a place I could call home.
My friend Crystal and I headed out early to make our way for the Hoosier State.  It was a fast drive down.  We jammed to some music and Crystal enjoyed making fun of my unintentional dance moves.  When we arrived, we were greeted with beautiful weather.  We decided to make the most of the bearable temperatures by going shopping in Broad Ripple.  We visited some boutiques and I bought a dress that can be worn 100 different ways (or something like that).  I like Broad Ripple a lot because it is artsy and very alive.  It is definitely one of the happening areas in the city.  After a little shopping we returned home to have delicious lasagna.  We enjoyed a good family meal and then Crystal I decided to go out on the town to see what was going on.


The biggest challenge was parking, but once we found a spot, we headed to Chumley’s for their Schooners.  The bouncer gave me a hard time and didn’t believe it was me that was photographed in my ID.  He asked for a second ID, but of course I didn’t have one, so he just let me in.  Someone said that I looked like I was 12, which I disagree with.  The bar was really busy and happening.  Some guys gave up their seats so we could sit at the bar while we sipped on our boat of a drink.  These glasses were not easy to hold onto, so I was thankful to have the bar to hold onto it for me.  We each did a shot, and made our way back home.
The next morning we woke up early.  We started at the Art Museum gardens since the weather was cooperating.  We walked around on some of the paths and ran under the sprinklers.  Some did not make it through without getting wet.  We also stopped at the greenhouse.  I found some baby tears that I really liked and they gave it to me for free, which is a great price.  This was another example of how friendly people are down there.

After the gardens, we drove to Zionsville.  I LOVE Zionsville.  It is a quaint town with antique shops and restaurants.  The houses are adorable with their extravagant gardens.  I found a house, but unfortunately it was not for sale.  I will definitely be considering this town as a future home.  I liked the atmosphere and I think I could incorporate my photography.  We stopped in a gallery and I asked the lady behind the desk more about how artists were able to display their work.  She said it was a co-op where artists pay a monthly fee and work once a week.  All profits are then entirely given to the artist.  I love this idea because it is reasonable and it would be an opportunity to get to know people.  As I was thinking about it more, I realized I would like to live in a town where people know me, maybe not everyone, but a descent amount.  When I go to get groceries, wine, or whatever goods I need, I want people to recognize me and vice versa.  I want to live in a community that I am motivated to give back to and truly be a part of.  Aurora is so large, it just seems impossible.  I just don’t feel invested in this place.  One of the back-roads antique stores we went to was owned by a man originally from Libertyville, IL.  He said it is a little bit of culture shock to come down there, but people are a little more relaxed and much more friendly and trusting.  I love the idea of that.
We ate at a cute bistro that served a wonderful lunch.  We sat outside under multicolored umbrellas while the wind kept the bugs away.  It was a relaxing afternoon.
After Zionsville, we went back home for a bit to take a nap and relax a little.  Once we were a little more rested, we returned to the Art Museum to see the artwork inside.  We saw Picasso, Monet, Cezanne, O’Keeffe, and more.  It was a nicely set up museum.  We did not spend too much time there because we had a party to get ready for.
The 60′s were making a return appearance at my aunt’s house for the evening.  She belongs to a group called “Lilies.”  They are friends that have known each other for a long time and their lives have intertwined throughout the years.  Most of them are turning 60 this year, and this party was the celebration of one of those birthdays.  The pictures came out, Harvey Wallbangers were served, music was playing, and the ladies remembered their times together.  They have seen a lot throughout the years: heartbreak, death, birth, and life changes, but the constant has been their friendship.  We had a great evening, and it was even equipped with special brownies (peanut butter was the special ingredient).
As I sat back and listened to the conversation, I was in awe of the experiences they have been through together.  I hope to reach that age and look back at my life with the same fulfillment.  Something else that was really interesting was the support from the group for my career change/move.  One of the friends even offered a duplex to rent.  Another friend, which I have known for quite a while and spent a good amount of time with even researched possible careers for me.  It just amazes me that they were so welcoming and  invested time to the idea.  I am considering several locations for a future home, but I think that the Indianapolis area would offer something very important, family.  Not that I would see them very often, but to know that I have support close by would truly make it feel like home.  Plus, I’m not that far away from my parents, so I really do think it could work.  This night was a such a great night.  I think I’m an old soul at heart (not that I am saying they are old, but I mean for my age).  I hope they don’t mind that I am posting this photograph…

The next morning we woke up with a mission, the winery.  We left around 9 and started the two hour trek to Southern Indiana.  It was a beautiful drive and as soon as I reached the winery, I remembered how much we enjoyed it last time.  We made our way to the tasting room first where we did the 5 S’s: see, swirl, smell, sip, and savor.  Our host took care of us with a few extra tastings.  The wine was fantastic.  At one point I looked over at my aunt and her friend.  I was so happy to see that they enjoyed something as much as we did.  It seemed like they were having a really good time.  My aunt couldn’t believe wine this good could be grown in Indiana.  After the tasting we grabbed some lunch, listened to some music, and walked around a little.  It was a very warm day, so we did not spend too much time outside.

After the winery, we took the back roads to Bloomington.  I asked Janey for an address in Bloomington so I could put it in my Garmin.  Unfortunately I heard Kent Street instead of 10th Street, so we had to do a little back-tracking.  I don’t think Crystal is going to let me live that one down.  We eventually made it.  We walked around the square some, where every building had missing posters for Lauren Spierer.  We cooled off and regenerated with some coffee at a local cafe.
Later that night we decided to catch a band at a local pub.  It was an Irish Folk band, and they were pretty good.  There were some funny songs mixed in with some sadder songs.  I was hoping to hear some that I knew, like “Whiskey in the Jar,” but it wasn’t meant to be.  It was a great way to end a great trip.
Every trip I go on, big or small, I feel like I learn something.  When I see my aunt, I see a similar life I would like to live.  She takes care of herself and I can’t imagine her having many regrets about her life.  I am so thankful to have such a great family, even if it is kind of small.

No comments:

Post a Comment