Saturday, October 15, 2011

Advocate for Creativity

Some thoughts have been rolling around the past few days about the next step.  I've mentioned in a previous post the need for something else regarding my career.  I have this creative side that is trying to come out in everything I do, but so much of it is watered down because of the nature of teaching.  I have engaged in cooking with purpose and I have developed such a passion for it.  I am continuing my photography ambitions.  I find the need to write about my experiences.  All of these artisitic elements do not shine through what I spend most of my time doing: work.

In other words, I need to find something that allows me to spend most of my time doing what I love and enjoy the most.  Last night my roommate and I were talking about one of our amazing art teachers.  After the conversation, I had this lingering idea that perhaps I could be an art teacher.  I am not saying this can happen instantly because I know that I need some training, but I got excited about the possibility.  According to the certification system, I am qualified to teach K-8 art, but I don't know if there are anymore requirements.

I remember how much art made a difference for me when I was in school.  In 7th and 8th grade it seemed like the class that allowed me to unwind a bit and see what I could create.  It also helped that the teacher for that class was one of the best I had ever had. I think about the classes I enjoyed most in school and they were all related to the arts in some form.  Humanities, photography, sewing, they all encouraged creativity.  I even think about how much I enjoyed my art education methods class in college.  I was able to teach content through a creative format.  Imagine that happening in the classroom...  My traveling experiences also play a big role in this love.  When I travel, one of the first things on my list of sights to see is art.  I love sculptures, gardens, paintings, architecture, and many other types of art.  I think it says something that my favorite place I visited last summer was the home of an artist (Monet).

I don't know how much work this entails, but I think that it could be a better path for me.  There are logistical concerns, but if it is something that I explore a little more and realize that it is something I want to do, then I think the challenges will be worth it.  I can't help but imagine the possibilities of finding something I truly love and enhancing several areas of my life, especially my photography.  I guess it is time to let the research begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment