Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 5: An Awakening

This day was a day mixed with highs and lows.  The agenda included a morning at Marche Aux Puces.  I liked this market last time because I was able to pick up cute and reasonably priced posters and jewelry.  When we arrived, many stalls were not open and those that were, weren’t impressive.  Many of the workers said hello and asked where I was from.  One guy even said that he liked my face.  I appreciate the compliments.
Not impressed with the market, we left for Montmartre.  Carolyn and I went ahead of my aunts and put our ticket in.  We went to the stairs on the right and waited for them to come down to the tunnel.  We waited, but they never came.  They went down a different tunnel that led to the same location.  Since we were ahead of them, they thought we were already on the metro, so they got on and went ahead.  We waited at our end stop, but never saw them.  We decided to go back to the apartment to see if they were there, but they weren’t.  We then grabbed lunch and headed toward Rue de Rivoli to pick up our tour to Giverny.  It was a great moment when we were once again reunited and could continue our journey together.
The tour was my favorite moment of the trip.  As soon as we walked into the gardens, I was engrossed.  There were so many flowers, in such perfect condition.  I took many, many photographs. I absolutely loved his home as well.  It is a country style home with beautiful windows overseeing the gardens.  I realized this is the type of place I want to live in.  I like peace most of the time, and when I want to socialize, I can go into the city.  It doesn’t need to be nearly that grand of scale, but the idea is nice.  I think I either have turned into a country girl, or I didn’t really know who I was before.  I guess that is why I travel.


The lily pond was amazing as well.  I enjoyed the weeping willows and the fake wisteria blooms.
When I finished dinner down by our apartment (I had lasagna), we went to the supermarket while Lori came back up.  When we walked in, Lori said to me, “here, talk to Becky, there has been an accident with mom.”  I was so confused.  I got on the phone and realized my mom was in a car accident involving her hitting a dear at about 65 mph.  The worries began to rush through my head.  I could only imagine how shook up she was about the deer, her car, and herself.  When I got on the phone with her she sounded excited about getting a new car.  It was another moment that reminded me of the shortness of life and the need to appreciate everything and everyone around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment