Sunday, September 25, 2011

Putting it all Together

Yesterday I received four large packages containing all the goods I needed to frame my prints.  Full of excitement, I spent most of the day cutting and framing.  My prints look soooo nice.  I feel such a sense of accomplishment by creating these products.  Yesterday I did my work on the kitchen table and on the floor.  Perhaps one day I will do this work in my own studio.  My art hangs in my bedroom on a long wall.  Perhaps one day my art will hang in galleries or possibly even museums as my ability grows.  It truly felt that something was coming together, and new opportunities are arising.
On September 10, there is an art fair in Plainfield.  I have been searching for local art fairs that are still accepting applications, and this is the only one that I have discovered.  The price is right and the timing is good.  Today, I will apply for this fair, and begin the list of things to do.  I have been thinking about this for awhile, so I have an idea, but there definitely is a lot.  I am essentially starting up a small business.  Here are some thoughts on what I would like/need to do:
-I want the booth to be set up so that samples are out for the prints, and below in drawers are the protected prints.  So many times people come through with their funnel cake fingers and get smudges on the mats.  I want everything to be in the best condition possible.  The good thing is school items are on sale, so maybe I can get some good organizers for a good price.
-I will sell framed prints, matted prints, cards, and framed word art.  Now that I cut my own mats, I can frame my word art.  I think I will have some generic words, and also come with a portfolio if people want to order custom made work.
-I need to figure out how complicated it is to start an account for a business name, I don’t want to have people make out checks to me.
-I have to get a tax ID and figure out all of the other things necessary.  I think I will wait to get a credit card machine for next year.  I’m not ready for the merchant ID and all of the other things I need to do.
Overall, I think that by working hard to prepare for this art fair will set me up for next summer.  I would like to participate in the Geneva, Madison, and other art fairs.  These can be challenging to be accepted into, so I need to try to gain a little experience.  I also need to work on my artist statement.  So much to do, but I have to try so that I can learn and be even more prepared for the next show.  More information will be coming later, and I hope you will come out to see my work.
If anyone has any information or recommendations for a first timer, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment