Friday, June 10, 2011

Outside Inspiration

I have been thinking a lot about someone that has not been around for awhile.  When I think about my interests and hobbies, I keep thinking about my granddad.  I feel like we have so much in common, yet we never really had the chance to share these ideas.
I always enjoyed spending time and being around him.  When I was growing up, I would visit with my grandparents during the summer.  Looking back on that time, I think about how much I must have worn them out.  They were always keeping me busy with quilting, art, poker, camping, and building.  I have so many fond memories of spending time with them.  Even though we had these great bonding opportunities, I do not feel like I have had the chance to spend that type of time with my granddad as an adult.
I think he would be impressed with what I am trying to do here.  I wish that I was able to have conversations with him about my photographs and talk about the adventures I have had with traveling.  Even when I think about what I teach, we would have had so much to talk about.
After he passed away, my dad and I went through some of his files.  I hit the jackpot when I found all of his prints of pictures.  As I was going through, I began to notice some familiar images.  They were photographs that I had taken.  At this moment I felt a great sense of accomplishment.  To know that someone who was a very talented photographer liked my images enough to keep them on record meant a lot to me.  I must be doing something right.
Thinking about him reminds me that we did spend a reasonable amount of time together.  I remember my grandmother telling me once that when granddad was falling asleep one night, he half asleep said that he thought I was so beautiful.  I did not get the impression that he was talking about my appearance either.  Although this comment may not mean much to some, it meant a lot to me.  I think that sometimes in life you make a much bigger difference on people’s lives than you are aware of.  I think this may have been true with him as well.  He always seemed to be proud of me, and I continue to hope to make him proud.  I also hope he knows how much of a difference he has made in my life.  Knowing how much you like irises, this one is for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment